Summary of Expectations
At this level, a student has reached the first level of expertise in the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of basic karate techniques and principles. Physical expertise is seen in the ability to perform all or most of the basic karate techniques with advanced muscle integration, body dynamics, and full-body involvement. Mental expertise is seen in the ability to explain the principles making up the basic techniques, why they are performed the way they are, and a functional degree of understanding of the cultural and historical significance of the art. Spiritual expertise is seen in the expression of mind-body integration, direction of energy, stamina, self-control, and discipline.
Key Points in Examination Criteria
• Demonstrate proficiency in all Primary Technical Elements: Form, Power, Transition, Body Dynamics.
• Functional understanding of bunkai principles of student’s chosen kata
• Perform these body dynamics consistently throughout kihon: Rotation, Vibration, Shifting/Stepping
• Show continuous partner engagement with basic karate techniques (punching, kicking, blocking) – not rudimentary brawling.
• Show basic strategy including offensive combinations rather than single isolated techniques and including defensive evasion & block/counter techniques rather than freezing or clashing.
• Show basic footwork including movement forward, back, and sideways and including stepping, shifting, and tai sabaki
• Show basic understanding of distance and the ability to deliver a controlled offensive or counter attack within 3 inches of opponent and without unsafe contact.
• Show basic understanding of timing through feints, footwork, & blocking.
1. Perform Kata of Student’s Choice from: Bassai Dai, Jion, Enpi, Kanku Dai, Hangetsu, Jutte, or Gankaku
2. Demonstrate Bunkai from 1 sequence (Examiner’s choice) from the above Kata with a partner
3. Perform a Kata chosen by Examiner from Heian 1-5 or Tekki Shodan
1. step forward Triple Punch
2. step back Rising Block / Front Kick (front leg) / Reverse Punch
3. step forward Outside Block / Elbow Strike / Back-Fist Strike / Reverse Punch (chudan)
4. step back Knife Hand Block / (front leg) Front Kick (chudan) / (step down) Nukite (chudan)
5. step forward Inside Block / Kizami Front Kick + Jab (same arm) / Reverse Punch (chudan)
6. step forward Double Front Kick (front leg chudan/back leg jodan)
7. step forward Double Roundhouse Kick (kizami chudan/rear jodan)
8. step forward Side Snap (from kiba dachi) / Side Thrust (rear leg) / Reverse Punch
9. step forward(front leg) Side Thrust / Roundhouse Kick (rear leg) Reverse Punch (chudan)
10. step forward Ushiro Geri / Reverse Punch
11. step forward(front leg) Roundhouse Kick / Side Thrust (same leg) Step-In Punch (chudan)
12. Combination of Examiner’s choice
13. In place Front Kick/Side Snap/Side Thrust / Roundhouse Kick (same leg) (both sides)
1. Jyu Ippon Kumite (1-step, w/shifting) – Block/Counter against:
Jab (jodan) / Reverse Punch (chudan) / Step-In Punch / Front Kick / Roundhouse Kick / Ushiro Geri
2. Jyu Kumite (free sparring)
1. Reverse Punch with target moving up-down & side-to-side